1) This week was another endurance test at work and I was thinking that doing TToT would be a challenge, but then a few things made me smile and put me in a much better frame of mind. So, top of my list this week is... I am thankful for smiles... those of others, and things that generate my own! Nothing brightens up a day more than someone intentionally smiling at you, be it a friend, a baby at a table next to you in a restaurant, or someone you encounter during the day. It's such an easy thing to share with others, and it can be such an attitude adjustment!
2) I am thankful for my children, who see me much larger than life and more wonderful than I could really ever be. It feels so good when one of the other expresses appreciation for something I've done for them in the past, and I realize how important it is as parents that we make that time for them. Those moments, no matter how small, count big in their hearts!
3) My friend Gail At The Farm did a Two Shoes Tuesday post this week in which she expressed gratitude for indoor plumbing. I told her I'd definitely have to steal that for TToT because it is so true. When I was young I have several friends who lived in the country and still had outhouses. While they are quaint, they are also mighty chilly on a cold winter night! I do not make a good tent camper, because I love the comfort and convenience of my bathroom at home.. shower, potty and all!
4) I am thankful for Words with Friends! I have several games ongoing with friends and love the mental challenge, especially ones where we are fairly evenly matched. It doesn't matter who wins or loses, we just start another game. I found out my little sister also likes to play and we've been enjoying some good games this week while exchanging little notes, it's been healing for our relationship. If you like to play, email me for my ID, one can never have too many games going! :-)
5) I am delighted and so very excited about plans for a roadtrip coming up in May. We'll be headed to Memphis for the graduation of John's grandson, and then my kids are coming there from Nashville to spend a couple days with us there. I love roadtrips with Papa Bear - we relax, laugh, and have plenty of time to visit and enjoy the scenery. Win-win-win! Thank you God!!
6) I am thankful that my daughter trusts me and feels that she can share the ups and downs of her life with me. I am glad she turns to me for encouragement and support. I didn't have that kind of relationship with my parents, and it means so much to me that my daughter and I have become so very close after some pretty tough high-school years.
7) I am thankful for Hershey's Cherry Cordial Crème Kisses!! They are wonderful! They taste a lot like the chocolate covered cherries my father loved so much, and I wish he were alive so I could send him a bag. I've been keeping some in a candy dish on my desk for coworkers and visitors and they rate a thumbs-up every time!
8) I am thankful that I am slowly learning to move away from my all-or-nothing mentality... If I can't do it all, or do it perfectly, then I won't try... If I can't make the whole place shiny clean today, I won't do any of it... If I can't walk three miles, I won't even try... etc. When I feel overwhelmed by what I can't accomplish I often freeze up and find it almost impossible to get started on something. I want to adopt the "do it for 15 minutes" mentality that says every step in the right direction leads somewhere.
9) I am thankful for the courage to speak up when I am uncomfortable about doing things that I know are wrong. Yesterday in our weekly office meeting I found the right words to say that I don't like telling clients on the phone things that are not exactly true... not lies, but things like "He'll says that he will call you back tomorrow" when I know in good conscience that he probably won't. It was a touchy subject to bring up, but integrity is important to me, and Being honest is always the best way!
10) I am thankful for bright colors, they never fail to cheer me up! I love bright clothes, bright artwork, bright flowers, anything and everything that bears evidence to the wonderful paint palette God gave us to create things of beauty with. Searching for a new header for my Facebook page today, I found this wonderful artwork aptly entitled Rainbow Colors. I love the waterfall effect the artist has created, the movement makes my spirit want to swirl and flow and dance in the wind!
If you enjoy creative writing and want a place to share your efforts,
join us for Two Shoes Tuesday and Six Sentence Stories this week!