1) This hasn't been an easy week, it was one of those that left me really tempted to skip doing TToT, not sure I could adjust my attitude into one of being truly thankful. But as is always the case with this blog hop, once I've read a few of the others, and really looked at my own life, I am able to put things in better perspective and the gratitude starts flowing. I have a good life, I know that I am blessed! At the top of my list of things I am thankful for this week then would be those who uplift and encourage me, who tell me that I'm not such a miserable failure at life when I really need that reassurance. Papa Bear is always among these, quick to express his appreciation for my presence in his life, and I am thankful for that too!
2) I am thankful that, just as it states in the picture above, no matter how many times the winds of life blow me off balance, I have always been able to get back on my feet and moving forward again. I am determined to be a survivor rather than a victim, and to be useful rather than used.
3) I am thankful that my days at work are extremely busy because this makes the time go by very quickly. Before I know it lunchtime has arrived and we are counting down the afternoon hours 'til going home time. Although I am very tired by the end of day, I have had jobs where we watched the clock move slowly, longing to be anywhere else, and feeling like eight hours was an eternity. Busy days is one of those thankful thoughts where one takes something not so good and finds a blessing within it! :-)
4) I am thankful that, although the hoped for miracle changes at work fell thru this week, leaving us all feeling very sad and defeated, another possibility has since opened up, and I sense that maybe God has something even better in mind for all of us than we had originally hoped for. Life works that way sometimes, you don't get what you want, but you end up with something much better in the long run. It is a time of waiting and watching, but hope is restored, and I am so very thankful for that because it's hard to focus on work when one feels the ship sinking!
5) I am thankful that I can report progress in rebuilding my relationship with my younger sister this week. It didn't come easy, but rather with some cross words, some unnerving revelations, and a night of little sleep, but I think we are on the way to having things better between us, and that feels good. One of my goals for this year is to work harder on my family relationships, and for that to happen I have to move off my square of stubbornness and do the reaching out and repairing. I am willing to do that, believing that God will honor my intentions with positive results.
6) I am thankful for the Pay It Forward thing going around on Facebook at the moment, and I'm thinking it would be fun to start it here in the blogsphere too. It goes like this..
I have decided to participate in the 'Pay it forward' initiative because I think it is a great idea. The first 5 people who comment on this status with 'I'm in' will receive a surprise from me at some point in this calendar year-anything from a book, a ticket, a visit, something homegrown or made, it could be a post card, absolutely any surprise! There will be no warning and it will happen when the mood comes over me and I find something that I believe would suit you and make you happy. These 5 people must make the same offer on their FB status and distribute their own joy. Simply COPY this text onto your profile...don't share...so we can form a web of connection and kindness. Let's do more nice and loving things for each other in 2014, without any reason other than to make each other smile and show that we think of each other. Here's to a more enjoyable, more friendly and love filled year!
So, if you are one of the first five people to comment on my post here today with "I'm In" I will send you a surprise at some point this year. Then you need to add it to your blog and do the same. Let's spread a little love, and brighten lives with some surprises when least expected!
6) I am thankful for conversations with both of my kids this week, and some fun plans in the formative stage that I will know more about next month - something to look forward to, and I am excited!
8) I am thankful that when I have issues or concerns with someone that I am able to initiate conversation to resolve them. I saw again this week how much confusion and hurt comes from people who hold things in, or carry around grudges that are sometimes based on misunderstandings. I can appreciate being cautious and considerate of other people's feelings, but I am a firm believer that it is always better to clear the air. Open communication strengthens relationships.
9) I am thankful that my husband started a rotating work schedule this week in which he will work 8-5 every third week, matching my work hours, so that we have longer evenings together. He has always worked 9-6 and this means a late dinner and me leaving the house with him sleeping each morning. This way we have a few minutes to share at the start of day and can go out for a bite to eat after work if we don't feel like cooking. I will look forward to this week each time it comes around!
10) I am thankful that I have developed a belief in me over the years, and the strength to rely on myself and what I believe to be true. Sometimes those who have been in our corner move in another direction and leave us feeling a bit stunned and disappointed, and while it is unsettling and sad, I know that life moves on, and I am thankful to have the opportunity to reassess my relationships and what I get from them. I found the quote below, and it speaks well of my belief that life is always a choice... choose wisely!
If you enjoy creative writing and want a place to share your efforts,
join us for Two Shoes Tuesday and Six Sentence Stories this week!