I have also been participating in "Thirty Days of Thankful" during the month of November, both here and on Facebook. It's been a wonderful way to celebrate an entire month of Thanksgiving.
I am including my daily thankful notes from the week here, so feel free to skip over the items you've already read in individual posts on my blog and look for the new ones I've added to this list...
1) I am thankful that I was prepared for the blast of winter weather this past weekend, with enough food and jugs of water, so that I didn't have to skate across the ice-covered deck to venture out for supplies. I'm also thankful that the frozen water pipes I woke up to on Saturday thawed out by the end of the day.
2) I am thankful for my ATT portable Wi-Fi Hotspot! Our wireless Internet at home was down for a couple days, probably because the signal receiver outside was coated with a thick layer of ice, as was the signal tower just across the road from us. Once again, my handy little pocket-size Hotspot came to the rescue with reliable 4G LTE Internet access for our laptops, tablets, etc. because everyone knows how grumpy I get if I can't connect!
3) I am thankful for my beloved Papa Bear who got up early on his day off just to chop the thick layer of ice off my Escape and drive me to work... that's love!! I really like that he is growing out his beard to look like Santa at my request too.
4) I am so very thankful for all the rescue workers, road crews, power line workers, furnace repairman, and plumbers who are called out all hours of the day and night in all kinds of weather to deal with problems and make repairs so that we can travel safely and live comfortably in our homes. I returned home from work Tuesday night to find the electricity, and thus the heat, working again. One night in the cold was enough to remind me of how blessed I am to live where I do, and to have a nice warm house to come home to!
5) I am thankful for lessons I learned from my parents... the difference between right and wrong... to treat others with respect... to take care of those we are responsible for... to get the things we want by working for them... to spend less than you earn... to take the cards life hands you and build with them... to help out where you can.
6) I am thankful for all the people in my past, some for what they gave me, some for what they taught me, some for the love they showed me. While I didn't always make the wisest choices, every single day of my past has formed me into the person I am, and has enabled me to be happy and at peace with the life I have now.
7) I am thankful for this four-day weekend! Those are rare, and not all employers give their staff the day after Thanksgiving off. I may actually get a few things accomplished around the house, and will at last have some time to catch up on reading and commenting! I've been behind on that for over a week now and it makes me feel bad when I don't have the time to return people's visits. Finding a balance between writing and reading with the time I have available is always hard, but I try!
8) I am thankful for the delicious spiral-cut ham that Papa Bear's boss gives his employees every year for Thanksgiving. We had some of it yesterday and the rest is packaged and in the freezer so that we can enjoy more of it in the weeks ahead!
9) I am thankful that my ex-husband seems to be finally getting some of his priorities straightened out in life. I texted him yesterday on his birthday, and he said it was the best one ever, spent together with his family, daughter and grandchildren, celebrating Thanksgiving too. He said he is looking forward to growing older. Wow, that's a definite change of pace for an "I don't want to grow up" party animal! I am thankful that he is happy, I wish him the best. I am still very thankful that I left him when I did, I have a far better life with Papa Bear now, where I am truly loved and appreciated!
10) I am thankful for You... all the family and friends in my life who give it meaning, purpose, and joy! Life is not about what you have, but who you have... and in that I am blessed beyond measure!
If you enjoy creative writing and want a place to share your efforts,
join us here for Two Shoes Tuesday and Six Sentence Stories this week!