Today I'm joining up with the new Ten Things of Thankful blog hop which asks us to "focus on the good things going on in your life by listing ten things you are thankful for today".
1. I am thankful for this wonderful new blog hop as a weekly place to count and share my blessings. I did this for the 26 days of the A-Z Blogging Challenge and can attest to the fact that it did wonders in helping me focus on the positive and finding reasons big and small to smile!
2. I am so very thankful for my beloved Papa Bear who is celebrating his 60th birthday today! He is my knight in shining armor, he is the light of my life. In my case, God saved the very best for last! :-)
3. I am thankful for having two four day work-weeks in a row! I love working only four days and wish I could do it always. We were off for Memorial Day and then both took today off to begin a long weekend. Having one less day of work made the week seem to go by so fast. That might also be because I had something fun to look forward to!
4. I am thankful for getting to spend these three days at Ft. Davis at the foothills of the Davis Mountains in Texas with Papa Bear. It was his choice of how to spend his birthday and it's beautiful here!
5. I am thankful for the wonderful Mexican food we had today for lunch at a place in Balmorhea, and for the delicious meal we had for dinner tonight at a small but elegant bistro in Ft. Davis. We love getting to eat in new places. In both cases the food was far above average and we loved it! We finished the evening off with the Italian Crème Cake birthday cake I brought along packed in an ice chest. :-)
6. I am thankful for the wonderfully cooler weather here in Ft. Davis. It reached 109 one day last week in Odessa where we work, and 106 the following day. It was miserable. It is much cooler here in the higher elevation. This evening we sat outside in the little rocking chairs on the patio and loved the cool 70 degree gentle breeze as the sun set.
7. I am thankful for all of our children, mine and John's, that love us and remember us on our birthdays. He's had a host of Facebook messages, texts and phone calls today, and enjoyed every one of them!
8. I am thankful for the many things Papa Bear and I have in common, we enjoy going the same places, and doing the same things. This evening we drove around looking at the old and historic buildings here, delighting in each find and taking photos Earlier we shared the roadway with a doe who was grazing in a yard with a couple of companions in the small town. That's her pictured above.
9. I am thankful for the beauty of God's handiwork. I have learned over the years that each place has a beauty of it's own, be it the lakes and prairie that I grew up with, waves lapping at the ocean shore, the tree-filled squares of Savannah, or the stark beauty of the West here in Texas. Someday we want to experience Alaska too!
10. I am thankful for Wi-Fi, as we sit here relaxing, Papa Bear reading his e-book on his tablet and me updating my Facebook and blog from the comfort of our little cottage at the foot of the mountains. I can leave home and take all my friends along with me. I can share photographs instantly. I can have a book at my fingertips and never lose my place. I can make friends from all over the world and send them greeting with the touch of a button on a keyboard that's connected to the Internet with nothing but signals that pass mysteriously thru the air!
Come and share your blessings with us!