An Attitude of Gratitude
I AM THANKFUL...
1) For all my young Lakota friends on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota. Watching them grow up has been amazing; getting to know their families and learn more about their culture first hand, has been the best experience of my life. Their trust and friendship has been far more a gift to me than anything I have ever given them. This year many of the children I met when they were in the first grade are seniors and will soon be graduating. I can't wait to see what they do with their lives!
2) For letters... the old fashioned handwritten kind that were read and re-read and became treasured keepsakes. I wish we all took time to send more snail-mail letters nowadays. It is so fun to open your mailbox and find something besides advertising and bills. I always used to trace my handprint on letters before I sent them off. One time a friend sent back a tracing of his foot as a response! :-)
3) For autumn leaves in their beautiful array of colors. We don't have many trees here and I really miss fall. I love the crunch of them underfoot, and the smell of them burning in the piles we labored to rake up as children.
4) For lefties, like me, that comprise 10% of the population. There's all kinds of studies online about the way we differ from our right-handed peers. As a rule we don't live as long, but I think that's because we burn brighter while we live! :-)
5) For Life Flights that have saved countless lives by their ability to provide fast emergency transport to hospitals and trauma centers. A good friend of mine owes his life to a Life Flight that transported him from a small town in New Mexico to a Large Hospital in Lubbock two weeks ago when he had a heart attack. Three stents and one long week later, he's back home and doing good, thank you Lord!
6) For lobster my most favorite very special meal! My fantasy is to enjoy an "all-you-can-eat lobster buffet" just one time before I die! I know I would eat myself sick, but one lobster tail always seems to be just a tantalizing tease, making me wish for much more.
7) For my laptop computer. It seems less exciting now with the advent of tablets and smart phones, but remember when laptops first came out, and what a blessing their portability was compared to big clunky desktop computers? I still use my laptop along with a small rolling laptop desk for most of my blogging, because the larger keyboard is easier on my old arthritic wrists and fingers. Do you know anyone besides me who has used their laptop so much that they have worn the letters off the keys? I now have to resort to locating most letters from memory. I do fine with that except for punctuation keys. Ugh!
8) For lightning - God's masterpiece of pyrotechnic shows! Watching lightning branch across the sky at night while soaking in the hot tub is breathtakingly beautiful! I've also seen lightning strike things such as street lamps, setting off a brilliant display of shooting sparks!
9) For lists, I couldn't live without them! My short-term memory has long since left the building, and were it not for the many notes and lists I make myself each day, I would never be able to remember or accomplish anything. I love the handy little Notes app on my iPhone - instant lists that are always at your fingertips! My favorite list at the moment... things to remember to take on our upcoming vacation, so that we don't leave anything important behind! :-)
10) And last but never least, I am so very thankful for LOVE - it is absolutely the most powerful force in the universe....
This post is linked to the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge