An Attitude of Gratitude
I AM THANKFUL...
1) For my children. My daughter is celebrating her 38th birthday today, and my son will turn 34 in July. Boy does that make me feel old! They have always been my joy, my life, and my reason for living. When I married Papa Bear I acquired three more wonderful daughters and six awesome grandchildren, we are expecting our first great grandson next month!
2) For my cats. I've been in love with cats since I was very small. I have a heart for rescue cats, and of course kittens. If they stayed that size I would probably have a dozen! Being an empty-nest mom, seeing my cats waiting and watching at the windows for me at the end of day, and then running to the door to greet me, never fails to make me smile.
3) For chocolate. Yes, one can be thankful for simple pleasures like that! Despite the fact that I am slightly allergic to it, it's a great comfort treat, the world is a much nicer place with chocolate!
4) For candlelight... it softens everything, creating a mood of reflection, romance, or mystery. I love candles!
5) For my cellphone. I couldn't live without it, I don't know how we ever did! I am amazed at all the gizmos and gadgets they can pack into that little thing! Most favorite feature, the camera, of course! It has made sharing photos and glimpses of your live so easy and fun.
6) For the Christmas Cactus in our guestroom that seems to thrive on East window light and cooler temperature in there. It has been blooming since the end of October and is still putting on new blooms (see photo below)! This one was grown from a slip from one that originally belonged to Papa Bear's great-grandmother. His great aunt gave it to him a couple years ago.
7) For the love of craftwork, mainly needlecraft, that I inherited from my grandmother. I taught myself to knit and crochet when young, and have since taken up counted cross-stitch. I have a collection of nearly all the thread colors DMC makes, and I love the rainbow of shades! I've made gifts, large and small, for family and friends, but it a very time-consuming thing, and the computer often lures me away now. :-)
8) For the wonderful experience of touring Carlsbad Caverns, a cave system in Southwestern New Mexico, a couple years ago with Papa Bear. I am somewhat claustrophobic, but the incredible beauty of the formations overpowered my fears of being so far underground.
9) For the Cracker Barrel restaurant about fifteen miles from home, one of our favorite places to go for a meal that tastes almost as good as the ones mom made. I love their pot roast (though they call it roast beef), and order it almost every time, which makes Papa Bear roll his eyes. :-)
10) For sweet memories of Christmas as a child, with all the magic of real Christmas trees, colored lights strung in widows, stores, and across the streets, candy canes, mom's delicious Christmas cookies, the photo Christmas cards she sent out, and singing carols in the choir both at church and school. Those really were "the good ol' days"!
This post is linked to the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge