Hey folks, it's Five on Friday time, and might I say Thank God It's Friday! Whew, it's been a long week! Now if weekends were also five days long, that would be awesome! At any rate, it's time for a little list-making exercise to wrap up the week...
One of the things I've noticed about myself and fellow-bloggers, well maybe with the exception of The Ranting Monkey, is a great hesitance to say anything good about ourselves, to talk about what we do right and what we are that's good. I'm not talking about obnoxious arrogance, just an awareness of things we can rightly take pride in. For some unknown reason self-esteem is perceived as a character flaw when really it should be taught in school and at home from the earliest years on. On that note, my theme for this week is...
The five traits I most like about my best friend: (who in my case is also my husband :-)
- He is trustworthy - a new experience for me - a husband who can be trusted, imagine that!
- He is responsible - has been employed by the same business for 31 years, he keeps the bills paid, the house repaired, and takes care of whatever else needs to be taken care of
- He is loving - VERY! Also compassionate and a great caretaker!
- He has a wonderful sense of humor - he makes me laugh all the time, he hasn't lost his childhood sense of playfulness
- He stands up for his beliefs - he is not afraid to say what he thinks and to address issues when needed. (It was really hard for me to choose just five - I could easily name ten more, if I could clone him I could sell copies and retire wealthy! I feel very blessed, and sometimes unworthy.)
- I am caring and compassionate, I can relate to people who have struggled in their lives because I've been there too. I try to think about how I would feel if I was in their situation, rather than judging them. Often we don't know the whole story, we haven't walked that mile in their shoes.
- I am reasonably intelligent and can understand most things. I am not afraid to ask questions if I don't understand or if I desire more information. I am not afraid to learn new things, or have my beliefs challenged.
- I enjoy finding little ways to encourage others and to brighten their day, even if it's just a smile or a friendly word. Little things can make a big difference!
- I am fairly good at expressing myself thru writing, or at least I like to think I am. I'm certainly good at stringing lots and lots of rambling words together! :-) Brevity is not my strong point.
- I stand up for my beliefs and am not afraid to state my opinions. I speak out when I feel that someone is being treated wrong. (In addition to these five, I also like that I love bright, cheerful colors, and that I tend to be a bit "unconventional" - being labeled crazy can be very freeing!)